Hotwire Verified Reviews
Get an overview of this hotel3.5-star San Francisco hotel in Downtown San Francisco
Popular property highlights
Where You'll Stay
Just steps from Orpheum Theater and San Francisco Public Library, Hotel Whitcomb is a great choice if you want to stay in Downtown San Francisco. Sights like Lombard Street and University of San Francisco are also close to this business-friendly hotel.
Unwind in one of the 460 appealing rooms, where you can take advantage of premium bedding, safes and desks. For entertainment, you'll appreciate the LCD TV, and other amenities include free toiletries and phones.
This hotel has a 24-hour fitness center, a gift shop/newsstand and conference space. Grab a bite at Market Street Grill, which serves breakfast and dinner. We think you'll also appreciate the concierge services, multilingual staff and 24-hour front desk.
Stretch your travel dollars with free in-room WiFi.
With a BART and MUNI station at its entrance and a cable-car stop within 4 blocks, Hotel Whitcomb, A Historic Hotel of America, is across from the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium and the Orpheum Theatre. Union Square shops and restaurants are 6 blocks away.
Popular with theatergoers, the Market Street Grill has a changing menu with an emphasis on steak and seafood. The small, adjacent bar has a lovely Tiffany ceiling. A Starbucks kiosk in the lobby is open 24 hours on weekends.
Meeting and event space includes a ballroom for 400 guests, 7 meeting rooms, and a business center provides high-speed Internet access and other services (surcharge). Guests can make use of the 24-hour fitness center. Valet parking (surcharge) is available on site. Luggage storage and tours/ticket assistance are also provided.
- Express check-in
- 24-hour front desk
- Conference space
- Year Built 1910
- Express check-out
- Tours/ticket assistance
- Meeting rooms 7
- Coffee shop or café
- Dry cleaning/laundry service
- Valet parking (surcharge)
- Computer station
- Smoke-free property
- Conference space size (meters) - 1
- Luggage storage
- Breakfast available (surcharge)
- Concierge services
- Conference space size (feet) - 6,300
- Gift shops or newsstand
- Banquet hall
- Total number of rooms - 460
- 24-hour fitness facilities
- Number of floors - 6
- Wedding services
- Number of buildings/towers - 1
- Multilingual staff
- Free newspapers in lobby
Available in all rooms: Free WiFi
Valet parking (surcharge)
- Pay movies
- Premium bedding
- Air conditioning
- Premium TV channels
- Refrigerator (on request)
- Daily housekeeping
- Free toiletries
- Hair dryer
- Iron/ironing board
- In-room safe
- Cable TV service
- In-room climate control (air conditioning)
- LCD TV
- Free cribs/infant beds
- Connecting/adjoining rooms available
- Rollaway/extra beds (surcharge)
- Blackout drapes/curtains
- Free WiFi
- Dial-up Internet access (surcharge)
Where to Eat
Market Street Grill - Lobby restaurant with large fireplace, white tablecloths, steak and seafood specialties. Menu changes with each Broadway-style show at the nearby Orpheum Theatre. Adjacent bar features Tiffany stained-glass ceiling. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner served. Bar open from early evening to late evening.
Starbucks - Lobby kiosk serving coffee drinks and pastries. Open from early morning to late evening, 24 hours on Friday and Saturday.
Nearby Things to Do
Jogging, cycling, and rollerblading are popular along the Embarcadero, 1.5 miles away. The hotel is a mile from Yerba Buena Gardens, which includes a historic carousel, bowling alley, ice-skating rink, and children's play area.
Four miles away, the Presidio Golf Course is a public 18-hole course deep inside the city's verdant park near the Golden Gate Bridge. Golden Gate Park has walking and running trails, a playground, gardens, and tennis courts.
The recreational activities listed below are available either on site or near the hotel; fees may apply.
- Golfing nearby
- Hiking/biking trails nearby
- Sailing nearby
If you have requests for specific accessibility needs, please note them at check-out when you book your room.
- Accessible bathroom
- Roll-in shower
- In-room accessibility
Check-in time ends at 4 AM
Check-in time starts at 3 PM
Check-out time is 11 AM
Children and extra beds
- Children are welcome.
- Kids stay free! Up to 2 children 17 years old and younger stay free when using existing bedding.
- Rollaway/extra beds are available for USD 25.00 per night.
- Free cribs (infant beds)!
- Pets not allowed
You need to know
Extra-person charges may apply and vary depending on property policy.
- Resort fee: USD 35.00 per accommodation, per night
- Fitness center access
- Internet access
- Phone calls
- In-room bottled water
- Additional inclusions
- Breakfast fee: between USD 15.00 and USD 25.00 per person (approximately)
- Valet parking fee: USD 38.00 per night (in/out privileges)
- Early check-in fee: USD 50.00 (subject to availability)
- Late check-out fee: USD 50.00 (subject to availability)
- Refrigerator fee: USD 25 per night
- Rollaway bed fee: USD 25.00 per night
- Hotel Whitcomb
- Hotel Whitcomb San Francisco
- Whitcomb Hotel
- Whitcomb San Francisco
- Whitcomb Hotel San Francisco
- Whitcomb San Fransico
We should mention
Up to 2 children 17 years old and younger stay free when occupying the parent or guardian's room, using existing bedding. The property has connecting/adjoining rooms, which are subject to availability and can be requested by contacting the property using the number on the booking confirmation.
Awards & Affiliations
- The property is a member of Historic Hotels of America.